5 Things to Do This Weekend
Weekend activities for fun, education or just for something interesting to do
Welcome to the first complete weekend of the new year. Help yourself to some handy suggestions of entertaining or edifying things to do over the next few days in and around Parsippany.
- Cheer your Parsippany Hills High School Vikings wrestling team as the guys take on Sparta. The junior varsity match takes place Friday at 5 p.m., and the varsity wrestlers take the mat at 6 p.m. The match take place home at the Hills, 20 Rita Drive. Tickets range from $2-$5.
- Cat people, unite: The Sheraton Parsippany Hotel at 199 Smith Rd hosts the Central Jersey Cat Fanciers Cat Show all this weekend. Come out and see well-bred felines in action and in competition. Event hours are Friday from 3-9:30 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $8, $6 for senior citizens and ages 4 to 12. Ages 3 and younger will be admitted for free.
- If you like modern pop music and dancing, you are set: The Mount Holleran Towne Tavern presents a performance by dance-party cover band Glamorama at 10 p.m. Friday. You'll hear hits made famous by artists including Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy Perry, LMFAO, Usher, Maroon 5 and more. The Towne promises drink specials all night long, and there is no cover charge. You can find the venue at 450 N. Beverwyck Road. For information, visit http://www.mhtownetavern.com/.
- If you're a teen girl between the age of 13 and17 and you're dealing with issues such as depression, self-harm or anxiety over school or relationships, you are not alone. Meet and talk with girls just like you as part of a weekly Teen Girls' Support Group meeting in nearby Montville. The program is designed to help young women learn coping, decision making and social skills through discussion, art therapy and creative projects and mindfulness practices. The group gathers at 112 Main St. Sundays from 11 a.m. until noon. and is facilitated by Lauren Muriello, MA LPC, former director of the Omega Institute Teen Camp. For more info or to register, call Muriello at 973-747-7596 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parsippany's St. Peter the Apostle Church at 179 Baldwin Road offers Crossroads, a support group for separated and divorced people. The group brings together divorced men and women of any faith for special events, community and healing. The support group meets Sundays from 7-8:30 p.m. each week in the church hall. For more info, contact Howard at 973-896-3124 or email email@example.com.