If you survived Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday, you may be feeling a bit bruised in the wallet and looking for something to lift the spirit. If you disapprove of the consumerism inherent in the mass shopping days that start the holiday buying season, you may be looking for a more soul-warming activity.
Welcome Giving Tuesday. You won't find testy shoppers, menacing crowds or pressure on this day and you don't even have to spend cash if you don't want to or don't have any. This day is designed to encourage holiday shoppers to give their time and/or treasure to nonprofit community service organizations and pursuits.
The holiday website boasts more than 2,000 recognized Giving Tuesday partners from across the country. Some are registered charities, but some are businesses that have initiated Giving Tuesday efforts supporting at least one nonprofit group.
What can you do to give?
- You can drop off a donation at the Parsippany Community Center Food Bank. (Call first - 973-263-7163.)
- You can donate shoes to Dress for Success Morris County.
- You can pledge your support for the United Way of Northern New Jersey's mentoring project, which seeks to recruit 1 million new mentors from across the country by 2014.
- You can donate items to a host of local do-gooder efforts through the Morristown-based You Give Goods.
- You can donate funds to help litters of puppies born during Superstorm Sandy via The Seeing Eye.
- And of course you also can use your Tuesday to help a church or nonprofit that touches your heart right here in Parsippany.
As the official Giving Tuesday website says, there is a day for giving thanks. There are three for getting deals. Now, the philanthropic and community-minded have their day. And no one has to worry whether the gift comes in the correct color or size.