Guardianship: What Parents Need to Know

Transferring Guardianship when your child with special needs turns 18 years of age.

If you are a parent of a young child or adolescent with special needs, you are not likely thinking about this, but it's a good time to become familiar with the concept of Guardianship.   Guardianship refers to the transfer of rights over to the parent when your child turns 18 years of age.  There are several factors to consider.

Take a look at my blog with Different Dream (www.differentdream.com) for an overview of the process and when it's time to begin thinking about transferring guardianship. It's a 2 part series, so make sure you read both parts!

As always, I look forward to hearing from you!

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Richard November 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM
I see Dr. in front of your name but I do not see Esq. after your name. Both parts of your series address legal issues. What is your education, training and experience in the legal issues? If you plucked your definitions out of a hornbook or legal dictionary, you should give credit to that author. Dr., please stick with the Dr. stuff and leave the legal stuff to the Esqs.
Liz Nissim Matheis November 15, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Hi Richard - I am the author on this article, so I take credit for it. I appreciate your thoughts, but please be aware that there are two types of evaluations needed for Guardianship - a Psychological and Medical. Therefore, Psychologists are qualified to perform the evaluation and make recommendations. In fact, a Psychological Evaluation speaks to a young man or woman's abilities skills in a comprehensive manner and informs the type of Guardianship needed. An attorney can be hired to take the Guardianship case to court or the parent can represent him or herself. However, if you choose to consult with an attorney, he or she will advise you to seek these evaluations. I am happy to clarify further if you would like.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »