Thursday, February 28, 2013
Telll us how you feel about the issues.
Thursday, February 28
A 7-year-old boy and his 52-year-old stepfather died tragically in a house fire on the morning of Monday, Feb. 18 on Flanders' Main Street. The boy’s mother and nine year old sister survived the fire but with injuries. Authorities suspect an improperly altered space heater to be the cause of the fire and investigators reported that the home did not have working fire alarms. The winter months tend to be the most deadly for residential fires with the increased use of fireplaces and home heating systems. I urge families to take the proper precautions to prevent potentially dangerous fire situations. Currently, there is pending legislation in New Jersey, bill A1570 in the Assembly and Senate bill S2273, which would make it mandatory for all …
Sunday, February 10, 2013
A Mt. Tabor fire captain says a recent call showed just how valuable detectors are and why it's vital to have them.
A local fire captain said it's important to pay attention to the lessons learned during town emergenices. One such lesson came during a Sunday early morning call that came in to the Mount Tabor Volunteer Fire Department regarding a fire report at a home on Strowbridge Road. District 1 Fire Captain Bryan Crawford said the home had experienced problems with its gas fireplace. Upon arrival, MTVFD fire fighters noted that a suitcase and newspaper left near the fireplace caught fire. "Thankfully, the homeowners had working smoke detectors and they were woken up by them activating," said Crawford. "They were able to put out a fire with a fire extinguisher before it could spread." The department reported that the home experienced minimal damage …
Sunday, February 3, 2013
Share your opinion with Parsippany.
Sunday, February 3
I am troubled that after a fire that took the lives of over 230 people in Brazil that the world media criticizes, that the building didn’t have an automatic fire sprinkler system. However, the U.S. press never asks the senior fire officer at the scene of fatal fires in buildings and residences in this country if it’s a significant issue. It appears there is a double standard. We as U.S. citizens expect other countries to protect their citizens with current modern fire safety automatic fire sprinkler systems, but yet year after year we read about our countrymen and women dying in unprotected structures. Why isn’t anyone speaking up in the U.S, to protect us? Last Monday there was a vote in the N.J. General Assembly on A-1570, a bill to …
Thursday, January 3, 2013
Large crowd expected at Parsippany High for continued testimony on controversial development proposal.
The Parsippany Planning Board starts its new year in a new place with consideration of an old controversy: the Waterview Plaza development proposal that includes a plan to bring a Whole Foods Market to town. Testimony on the hotly disputed issue will continue Monday at Parsippany High School, at Baldwin and Vail roads. The board's reorganization will take place at 7 p.m., and the meeting will follow at 7:30 p.m. The Planning Board was expected to take up the matter during its Dec. 17 regular session at Town Hall. But a massive turnout of residents from Parsippany neighborhoods such as Intervale, Lake Parsippany and Rainbow Lakes, along with visiting citizens from nearby Mountain Lakes, exceeded the number of people allowed in Council …
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
No word yet on when and where resumed testimony will take place.
A full house at Town Hall's Council Chambers for Monday's Planning Board general business meeting turned out to be too full. Residents from Parsippany's Intervale area—including citizens of nearby Mountain Lakes—packed the large room. They were there to hear continued testimony on the contentious proposal by RD Realty to put a Whole Foods Market, other retailers and an upscale townhouse development on Waterview Plaza. But the testimony could not go forward. After the meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance, Parsippany Fire Official Michael D'Alessandro announced that the proceedings could not continue because the number of people in the room exceeded the maximum amount allowed by township fire safety code. D'Alessandro could not be …
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Sandy is keeping many away from event, but MTVFD volunteers offered visitors an inside look at its operations.
Firefighters from the Mt. Tabor Volunteer Fire Department, Parsippany's District 1, gave residents a firsthand look at their lifesaving work—plus lessons in fire safety—on Sunday at its Fire Prevention Month Open House. The annual event took place at the Tarn Road firehouse. Visitor turnout was low for the open house, which wasn't a surprise to MTVFD Fire Captain Bryan Crawford. "With the storm coming, a lot of people probably are out preparing or staying home," he told Patch. But those who did come out for the event were able to see the company's apparatus, including fire fighting tools and fire trucks. Some even braved a ride skyward on a ladder from a truck usually housed at the MTVFD's Powder Mill Road firehouse. "The ladder is 100 …
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
The owner of the Lake Drive home that burned Monday says the damage was worse than expected.
Andrea Antonelli-Rella is still reeling a bit after her home at 13 Lake Drive was hit Monday night by what preliminary fire reports show was a chimney fire. At the same time, the veterinarian says she feels fortunate because she and her husband were not hurt, and neither were her pets. And she is convinced that all are well because the Rellas followed an emergency plan. "My husband is a police officer in Maplewood, so he is the man with the plan," she said. "He says to always have an idea [of what to do] when your house catches fire." Apparently, Nick Rella had a plan and it worked. His wife said they were able to get themselves plus a combination of parrots and macaws totalliing six birds and three German shepherds out of the burning …